“I think it is fair to say that most of us (men included) have encountered spiritual abuse in one form or another and for the most part we endure and press on. But the structural patriarchy that suffuses so much of the evangelical community is not a mere insult or inconvenience; it is a death-trap for women. Here is what I mean. Structural patriarchy thrusts women into a bewildering dilemma where their responsibilities to ‘rule and subdue’ as image bearers of God Almighty are subverted into subservience to male authority—and this subversion is declared to be essence of feminine godliness. The end result is confusion and, in the worst cases, divine authority is replaced with male authority.”
Here is the complete series on Spiritual Abuse:
- It all started with Lean In: Seek and Speak Your Truth
- Part 1: This Can of Worms Must be Opened!
- Part 2: The Perfect Storm
- Part 3: The Many Faces of Spiritual Abuse
- Part 4: Identifying the Triggers of Spiritual Abuse
- Part 5: Standing Up to Spiritual Abusers
- Part 6: The Underlying Belief System of Spiritual Abuse
- Part 7: The Enablers of Spiritual Abuse … or When Silence isn’t Golden
Dr. Phil Monroe on Spiritual Abuse:
- Spiritual Abuse: What it is and Why it Hurts
- Why Do Some Spiritual Leaders Abuse Power?
- What Factors Support the Use of Spiritual Abuse?
- Four Belief System That Support Spiritual Abuse
- Do You Enable Spiritual Abuse?
- Failures to Act—Why we don’t always blow the whistle on abuse